STRIVE and DRIVE to THRIVE!Earn the chance to win cash just by coming to school.1st Prize- $10,0002nd Prize- $5003rd Prize- $250
- Recognize and celebrate students who achieve exceptional attendance
- Encourage all students to aspire to achieve perfect attendance and graduate from high school
- Promote the importance of education to all students, parents, and community at large
- Highlight the important connection between showing up ready to learn for school every day as a young person and showing up ready to work every day as an adult
- Promote parent involvement in school and student attendance awareness
This initiative is based on the belief there is a direct relationship between the educational achievement of our children and the quality of life in our community.
The attendance initiative was designed to educate students and their parents on the importance of being in class. Attendance has a direct effect on academic performance. Research conducted at the Bureau of Educational Research shows that consistent school attendance is directly linked to positive behavior, increased participation in extracurricular activities, higher grades and higher overall educational outcomes.
Tips for good attendance include:
- Getting to school on time every day and staying all day
- Monitoring your child’s attendance on the district’s parent portal
- Working with your health-care providers to schedule regular doctor visits during non-school hours or visit our onsite school-based Health Centers.
- Following proper guidelines reporting excused absences in a timely manner.
So just how does the Strive and Drive to Thrive attendance initiative work? Pontiac School District parent(s) or legal guardians of K-12 students have the opportunity to qualify for reward tickets based on their ability to meet the following requirements:
- Students must be enrolled in Pontiac School District for the entire nine-week grading period to participate.
- Students may earn raffle tickets for perfect attendance each semester.
- Students with more than 4 excused absences (and 1 unexcused absence) per semester period will not qualify for the drawing.
- Students suspended at any given time during the school year are not eligible to participate.
- The district will utilize state guidelines for reporting Average Daily Attendance to determine perfect attendance contest eligibility.
The eligible parent or guardian whose student's name is drawn at the end of the school year with perfect attendance both semesters will receive a check for $10,000 donated by Joe Lunghamer Chevrolet! The winner will be randomly selected from among ALL eligible students with perfect attendance at any Pontiac School District school.
The second and third place prizes will be selected with the same criteria.
The ATTENDANCE PERIOD (s) will: run from the first day of the school year through the last day of the school year as published in the annual school calendar adopted by the Board of Trustees. The adopted school calendar defines the dates to be included in a “semester” period.
VERIFICATION OF PERFECT ATTENDANCE: The MiStar student attendance system, is the official attendance record system for the district. The district student service office, or designee, will utilize MiStar to verify for each defined attendance campaign period, which students have attained perfect attendance for this program.
SELECTION OF WINNER(S): All decisions by administration regarding the issuance of incentives or opportunities to participate in drawings for incentives are final and may not be appealed.
INDEMNIFICATION: The student and/or/his/her parent/guardian will hold the district harmless and indemnify the same with respect to any claims, costs, expenses, and litigation/prosecution (including reasonable attorney’s fees), arising from the implementation of this program or the incentive awards.
Education is the path to a better life for our children. School is where dreams are born and the determination to achieve them can be deep-rooted. School is where children learn things they need to know in order to do things they want to do. It is the place where children establish lifelong friends, lifelong lessons, and lifelong habits.
STRIVE and DRIVE to THRIVE is designed to motivate and reward our students so they can realize all that school has to offer!