The mission of the Office of Bilingual and ESL Education in the School District of the City of Pontiac is to ensure that English language learners (ELLs) receive a rigorous foundation which prepares them to excel in a highly competitive, multicultural, global society.
- Ensure that English language learners master the same high academic standards required of all learners.
- Create a safe, multicultural, and nurturing environment that is free of barriers for all students and families.
- Strengthen the two-way relationship with families and communities.
- Provide professional development for staff.
- Strengthen the use of technology in the classroom for instructional purposes.
Values and Beliefs
- Learning is a socio-cultural and linguistic process.
- All children learn best when actively engaged with others in authentic instruction grounded in respect of their prior sources of knowledge such as: language, history, and culture.
- Given the opportunity and support, English language learners can excel academically and contribute greatly to our global society.
- The community contributes to the success of English language learners.
- Parents, families and the community are vital partners in the educational process.
- All educational personnel have a legal and moral responsibility to provide the highest level of education to all students, including English language learners.
- A highly trained and supported staff will most effectively meet the educational needs of English language learners.
- All parents and family members can contribute to their children’s education regardless of their English language ability, provided the school facilitates this involvement.